Tours of Worcester Cathedral
We offer socially distanced tours inside and around the Cathedral for up to six people per household group. We can accommodate up to 18 people socially distanced on tours around the Cathedral. This is facilitated using sanitised headsets and transmitter equipment.
We can also offer socially distanced pre-booked talks, for up to 12 individuals or 12 couples in our beautiful Lady Chapel. This uses socially distanced seating.
To enquire about booking a group tour or group talk contact us by emailing - firstname.lastname@example.org
Choose from the following:
- Historical tours or talks - giving an introduction to the history of Worcester Cathedral. These can be pre-booked for groups all year round and tailored to your individual requirements. Tours and talks cost £7 per person for half an hour to an hour, or £10 per person for an hour. Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to restrict a tour to certain areas if a service or event is taking place. Social distancing measures are in place at the present time.
- Non-guided groups are welcome to visit the Cathedral (with social distancing), however we recommend pre-booking to avoid disappointment in case you visit when we have a closure or an event going on. Non-guided group bookings cost £4.50 per person. We will ensure you are kept up to date about what is happening in the Cathedral that might effect your planned visit.
- Themed tours
Groups of up to 6 people per household bubble, or socially distanced people can also pre-book themed tours (minimum 2, maximum 18 per socially distanced tour) focusing on topics including Cathedral architecture, the Civil War, Cathedral monuments, our Victorian stained glass windows, Cathedral music, our Misericords, and famous people (including King John, Prince Arthur, Sir Edward Elgar, Sir Stanley Baldwin, Woodbine Willie, The Duke of Hamilton, St Wulfstan, and St Oswald, to name but a few). If you would like a themed tour, please request this when booking as it will be subject to the availability of our specialist guides. Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to restrict a tour to certain areas if a service or event is taking place.
- Pilgrimage / Parish and Diocesan pre-booked socially distanced group visits can include a short service, a historical or spiritual tour of the Cathedral and lunch or afternoon tea in the Chapter House or Cloister. Prices are available upon request. Numbers are currently limited because of social distancing.
Visitors can also book one of our special tours or talks for groups of between 2 - 18 people:
- Talks by King John's Tomb. King John's tomb has the oldest Royal effigy in England and makes for a stunning setting in which to hear about his life, and the disputes with the French king, the Pope, and the Barons that ultimately led to him sealing Magna Carta. This half hour talk costs £7 per person.
- World War I: Worcester Cathedral Connections Tour. Hear the poignant stories of the soldiers with memorials in the stained glass windows in the Cathedral Cloister. The tour remembers these men with Worcestershire connections who died in the Great War between 1914 and 1918. You can also visit other areas around the Cathedral and hear about the Cathedral's other WW1 connections. This tour costs £7 per person.
- Tours of the Stone Masons Yard
Meet some of our talented stone masons and see them in action. Hear about the heritage conservation work they do, using skills the same as those that built the Cathedral. The tour costs £18 per person, with a minimum group size of 3 or a minimum charge of £50.00. The tour will be socially distanced.
- Garden and Cathedral Grounds Tour. Led by our Cathedral gardener, hear about the rare trees, interesting plants and herbs. Unfortunately this tour takes you across uneven surfaces and up and down steps and therefore is not suitable for anyone who is disabled or has difficulty walking. Flat shoes are advised. The tour lasts up to 60 - 90 minutes and costs £10 - £15 per person with a minimum group size of 5 people or minimum charge of £50.00. The tour will be socially distanced
- Coming soon - Socially Distanced Tours at 12.00 pm Monday to Friday. These Historical Tours of the Cathedral when available again will start from the Welcome area near the Cathedral entrance. Tickets will cost £7 per adult (with accompanied children free). Tours will use sanitised headsets. They will last 45 - 60 minutes. Those attending the tour will be asked to adhere to social distancing.
- Currently Unavailable
Civil War themed Tours visiting the Tower
with a 1651 Battle of Worcester talk at the top;
or Upper Reaches: Behind the Scenes Tours.
These will both be available to book when access to the tower is allowed again. When running, the tours cost £15 per person, with a minimum cost of £50.00
- Currently Unavailable
For something extra special, consider a pre-booked tour of our medieval Library with one of the world's most important collections of medieval books and music, King John's Will, the oldest remaining Royal Testament in England, and associated artefacts and relics. A one hour tour costs £18 per person, with a minimum group size of 3 or a minimum charge of £50.00. Please note that library tours can only be arranged by prior appointment and access to the library is via a spiral staircase.
Also available is a Lockdown Pilgrimage trail that you can take part in at home or bring with you to the Cathedral. Click here to download the pilgrimage.
For further information and bookings, please email email@example.com