Tours of Worcester Cathedral
Enjoy learning about the Cathedral on a socially distanced tour. Led by an experience Cathedral guide, social distancing is facilitated using sanitised headsets and transmitter equipment.
- Turn up for a Socially Distanced Tour at 11am or 2.30pm, Monday to Saturday. These Historical Tours of the Cathedral start from the Welcome area near the Cathedral entrance. Tickets cost £7 per adult (with accompanied children free). Tours will use sanitised headsets. They will last 45 - 60 minutes. Ideal for individuals or couples who want to turn up on the day. Arrive approx. 10 - 15 minutes before the tour and pay at our welcome desk.
To enquire about booking a group tour or group talk contact us by emailing - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to restrict a tour to certain areas if a service or event is taking place.
Choose from the following:
- Historical tours or talks - giving an introduction to the history of Worcester Cathedral. These can be pre-booked for groups and tailored to your individual requirements. *Tours and talks cost £7 per person for half an hour to an hour, or £10 per person for an hour. We use sanitised headset equipment to enhance you being able to hear your guide. Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to restrict a tour to certain areas if a service or event is taking place.
- Non-guided groups are welcome to visit the Cathedral (with social distancing), however we recommend pre-booking to avoid disappointment in case you visit when we have a closure or an event going on. Non-guided group bookings cost £4.50 per person. We will ensure you are kept up to date about what is happening in the Cathedral that might affect your planned visit.
- Themed tours.
Groups can also pre-book (minimum 2 people) choosing a topic of interest of their choice, for example - Architecture; Tudors, Stuarts and the Pilgrim Fathers; Famous people (including King John, Prince Arthur, Sir Edward Elgar, Sir Stanley Baldwin, Woodbine Willie, The Duke of Hamilton, St Wulfstan, and St Oswald, to name but a few).
If you would like a themed tour, please request this when booking as it will be subject to the availability of our specialist guides.*
- Pilgrimage / Parish and Diocesan pre-booked socially distanced group visits can include a short service, a historical or spiritual tour of the Cathedral and lunch or afternoon tea in the Chapter House, Undercroft or Cloister. Prices are available upon request.
- Talks by King John's Tomb. King John's tomb has the oldest Royal effigy in England and makes for a stunning setting in which to hear about his life, and the disputes with the French king, the Pope, and the Barons that ultimately led to him sealing Magna Carta. This half hour talk costs £7 per person.
- Tours of the Stonemasons Yard.
See behind the scenes in our working stonemasons yard. Hear about the heritage conservation work they do, using skills the same as those that built the Cathedral. The tour costs £15 per person, with a minimum group size of 3 or a minimum charge of £45.00. The tour will be socially distanced and uses headsets to enhance you being able to hear your guide.
- A History of the Cathedral Grounds and Garden Tour. This new tour for 2021 is led by our Cathedral gardener or one of our garden volunteers. Enjoy the beautiful outdoor space and hear the history of the surroundings from a different perspective. This tour takes you across uneven and sometimes wet surfaces, across landscape and up and down steps and therefore is not suitable for anyone who has limited mobility or difficulty walking. Flat sensible walking shoes with a good grip are advised. The tour lasts up to 60 minutes and costs £10 per person. The tour will be socially distanced and uses headsets to enhance you being able to hear your guide.
- World War I: Worcester Cathedral Connections Tour. Hear the poignant stories of the soldiers with memorials in the stained glass windows in the Cathedral Cloister. The tour remembers these men with Worcestershire connections who died in the Great War between 1914 and 1918. You can also visit other areas around the Cathedral and hear about the Cathedral's other WW1 connections. This tour costs £7 per person.
- Cathedral at Heights Tour.
Have you got a head for heights? Join a tour behind the scenes, climbing the spiral steps inside the tower to parts of the upper reaches. As part of this fascinating tour behind the scenes, you will be led by two of the Cathedral guides, climbing a third of the way inside the tower to the clock room/bellringing teaching centre. The tour will include historical and architectural elements about the Cathedral as well as touching on the use of the tower for bellringing. You will venture into some of the roof spaces and discover what is above the magnificent vaulted ceilings below. The tour also takes you into the clergy's Parlour where you can see paintings of past Deans and Bishops.
There is no disabled access and is not suitable for children under 16 years. Under 18's must be accompanied. (NB: The top of the tower is currently inaccessible. ) No large bags can be taken up.
This tour costs £10 per person, with a minimum charge of £30 per tour. The maximum number of people per group is 10.
- Coming in the future...
- Top of the Tower Tours (the top of the tower is currently closed to visitors)
- Civil War themed Tours visiting the top of the Tower.
These will both be available to book when access to the tower is allowed again. When running, the tours cost £15 per person, with a minimum cost of £30.00. The approximate length of time for the tour is 1 hour. The maximum number per group is 10
- Library Tours
Library tours are currently paused until further notice as the Library is closed for repair work. Once tours resume, groups or individuals can book an appointment in advance by filling in the form on the library page here or ringing 01905 72922. Tours cost £10 per adult and £5.50 for under 18yrs.
Also available is a Lockdown Pilgrimage trail that you can take part in at home or bring with you to the Cathedral. Click here to download the pilgrimage.
For further information and bookings, please email email@example.com