Tours of Worcester Cathedral
Tours have now been cancelled until further notice.
When we are able to offer tours again and you are looking for something to do on a Day Out then we offer:
- Historical tours of Worcester Cathedral can be pre-booked for groups all year round and tailored to your individual requirements. Tours cost £7 per person for an hour or £10 per person for an hour and a half. Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to restrict a tour to certain areas if a service or event is taking place.
- Alternatively, simply Turn up for a Tour at 11.00am and 2.30pm on Saturdays from December to February and Monday to Saturday from March until November (excluding Good Friday). Tours start from the Cathedral Shop in the Cloister and tickets cost £7 per adult (with accompanied children free). Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to cancel Turn up for a Tour if a service or event is taking place.
- Non-guided groups are also welcome to visit the Cathedral (when it is open), however we recommend pre-booking as there are usually lots of services and events happening throughout the week and we can suggest the best time to visit. Non-guided tours cost £4.50 per person.
- For something special, why not consider a pre-booked tour of our medieval Library with one of the world's most important collections of medieval books and music, King John's Will, the oldest remaining Royal Testament in England, and associated artefacts and relics. A one hour tour costs £7 per person. Please note that library tours can only be arranged by prior appointment and access to the library is via a spiral staircase.
- Groups can also pre-book themed tours focusing on topics including Cathedral architecture, the Civil War, Cathedral monuments, our Victorian stained glass windows, Cathedral music, our Misericords, and famous people including King John, Prince Arthur, Sir Edward Elgar, Sir Stanley Baldwin, Woodbine Willie, The Duke of Hamilton, St Wulfstan, and St Oswald, to name but a few. If you would like a themed tour, please request this when booking as it will be subject to the availability of our specialist guides. Please note that it may occasionally be necessary to restrict a tour to certain areas if a service or event is taking place.
Visitors can also book one of our special tours or talks for groups of 6 or more persons:
- World War I: Worcester Cathedral Connections Tour. Hear the poignant stories of the soldiers with memorials in the stained glass windows in the Cathedral Cloister. The tour remembers these men with Worcestershire connections who died in the Great War between 1914 and 1918. Guides also show visitors around the Cathedral and explain you some of the Cathedral's other WW1 connections. This tour costs £6 per person.
- Talks by King John's Tomb. King John's tomb has the oldest Royal effigy in England and makes for a stunning setting in which to hear about his life, and the disputes with the French king, the Pope, and the Barons that ultimately led to him sealing Magna Carta. This tour costs £6 per person.
Other tours include:
- Bespoke tours of the Tower with a 1651 Battle of Worcester talk at the top; Upper Reaches: Behind the Scenes; and tours of our working Stonemason's Yard. Prices for these tours are available upon request.
- Parish and Diocesan group visits can include a short service, for example in the Crypt or Lady Chapel, an historical or spiritual tour of the Cathedral and lunch or afternoon tea in the Chapter House. Prices for these visits are available upon request.
Please further information and bookings, please contact the Chapter Office on 01905 732900 or email email@example.com