'To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation, and sustain and renew the life of the earth.'
The Eco Group takes forward the Cathedral's vision that
In 2025 Worcester Cathedral will be a catalyst for campaigning and awareness on the environment and social justice.
For the environment, this means:
- Creating a prophetic voice for environmental campaigning and awareness.
- Education and awareness-raising of global and local eco-issues.
- Partnering with other local/regional voices.
Working towards Eco-Church Gold Standard award and achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2030.
On this page we will share news of our progress as we work towards the Eco-Church awards.
Worcester Cathedral’s Declaration of a Climate and Environmental Emergency.
The Dean and Chapter of Worcester Cathedral publicly recognise that there exists a Climate and Environmental Emergency that affects humanity’s ability to sustain civilisation in its present form. This crisis is principally caused by a failure of human beings to fulfil God’s call to love our neighbours, live justly and steward God’s creation. As a result, we commit to:
- Examining our lives individually and corporately in relation to this crisis, seeking to live faithfully to God’s call.
- Bringing forward during first quarter of 2022 an action plan to:
- Minimise our negative corporate impact on the environment, and help restoration where possible
- Achieve net zero emissions by 2030
- Care for the natural environment and biodiversity in the grounds of our Cathedral.
- Encouraging the Cathedral community to make relevant lifestyle changes appropriate to their circumstances.
- Encouraging action on this emergency in our neighbourhoods, workplaces and other spheres of activity.
- Using our influence to bring about positive actions by local and national government and businesses and other organisations.