Living Gently on the Earth
The Cathedral Eco Group is delighted to invite you to join 'Living Gently on the Earth'... a series of community events, talks and workshops on caring for our planet.
Wildlife Survey (birds, animals, and plants)
Friday 5 August 1.00 - 4.00 pm.
Come and spend an afternoon in the Cathedral grounds, helping with a wildlife survey to cover a variety of themes. No experience needed as expert advice will be on hand! Bring family and friends, or come on your own and meet us on College Green near the Guesten. This event is organised by the Cathedral Eco Group with the help of the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust, as part of our progress to EcoChurch Silver Award. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
See also the Beautiful Big Bug Adventure on Friday 26 August 2022, 10.30am - 1.30pm - more here.
'To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation, and sustain and renew the life of the earth.'
We are absolutely delighted to have been awarded the A Rocha UK Bronze Eco Church Award. Since its formation, the Cathedral Eco Group has been working towards the Eco Church scheme, and this is the first milestone on our journey to becoming an Eco Cathedral.
The Eco Group takes forward the Cathedral's vision that
In 2025 Worcester Cathedral will be a catalyst for campaigning and awareness on the environment and social justice.
For the environment, this means:
- Creating a prophetic voice for environmental campaigning and awareness.
- Education and awareness-raising of global and local eco-issues.
- Partnering with other local/regional voices.
Working towards Eco-Church Gold Standard award and achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2030.
On this page we will share news of our progress as we work towards the Eco-Church awards.
News & Resources
Friends For The Climate
is the name of a new blog compiled by our former Cathedral shop manager, James Pertwee. Visit it here: https://friends4climate.org
The Creation Care scheme aims to encourage households to make changes to care for God’s earth. Wherever households are on the creation care journey, this website provides ideas for next steps, and recognises the progress. https://creationcare.org.uk
The cathedral eco-group brings together members of the congregation, volunteers and staff in small working groups around the Eco Church themes. If you'd like to know more or join us please contact Canon Stephen Edwards.
Worcester Cathedral’s Declaration of a Climate and Environmental Emergency.
The Dean and Chapter of Worcester Cathedral publicly recognise that there exists a Climate and Environmental Emergency that affects humanity’s ability to sustain civilisation in its present form. This crisis is principally caused by a failure of human beings to fulfil God’s call to love our neighbours, live justly and steward God’s creation. As a result, we commit to:
- Examining our lives individually and corporately in relation to this crisis, seeking to live faithfully to God’s call.
- Bringing forward during first quarter of 2022 an action plan to:
- Minimise our negative corporate impact on the environment, and help restoration where possible
- Achieve net zero emissions by 2030
- Care for the natural environment and biodiversity in the grounds of our Cathedral.
- Encouraging the Cathedral community to make relevant lifestyle changes appropriate to their circumstances.
- Encouraging action on this emergency in our neighbourhoods, workplaces and other spheres of activity.
- Using our influence to bring about positive actions by local and national government and businesses and other organisations.