Continuing Covid-19 mitigations at Worcester Cathedral from July 19
Following the lifting of restrictions, and in order to ensure that everybody has a safe and enjoyable experience with us, we have decided to take this next step cautiously.
We are therefore recommending the continuation of a number of Covid-19 mitigating measures when visiting the Cathedral until the end of August, when we will review our policies again in line with the situation at the time.
- We continue to ask visitors to follow the recommended marked routes throughout the Cathedral, to enable social distancing to continue wherever possible.
- Signage and signposting will remain in place to help you navigate around the Cathedral safely.
- Protective screens will remain in place at the main entrance welcome reception and in the Cloister Cafe and Cathedral shop.
- NHS Track and Trace will remain in place, and we recommend visitors continue to sign-in on arrival at the main entrance.
- Our visitors, staff and volunteers will be strongly encouraged to continue to wear face coverings in indoor areas.
- Increased cleaning regimes will continue across the site including hand sanitiser at key points for you to use.
The Government’s lifting of restrictions means some changes to the way we are able to celebrate public worship. There will be a gradual easing of some Covid measures over the next few months, but this will be done with caution and care. Many people still feel vulnerable and anxious, and it is important that the Cathedral remains a safe place for as many people as possible.
What will change?
- Hymns will be introduced for congregational singing.
- Social distancing will be reduced from 2m to 1m, but with plenty of room in the nave for people who wish to sit further apart.
What will not change (at least in August)?
- Those attending services will be invited to register NHS Track and Trace on arrival.
- The use of face coverings while in the Cathedral will be encouraged (it cannot be enforced) at least while entering and leaving the building and when coming for communion. People may choose to wear or remove face-coverings while singing hymns.
- Physical greetings at the peace should not be offered to people outside a bubble.
- Communion will be given standing, and in one kind (consecrated bread only).
- No collections will be taken during services.
- There will be no Chapter House refreshments after services.
- A thorough cleaning programme will be carried out after every service.
If you feel unwell or are displaying COVID-19 symptoms, please do not visit the Cathedral.
We thank you, in advance, for helping us to keep the Cathedral safe for everyone to enjoy and look forward to welcoming you soon.